Tuesday, July 10, 2012

He's here...

Introducing my son...

born June 28, 2012
6lbs 10oz, 19 3/4" long

Sorry it took so long to get this up here. But as I am sure you can understand, life has been BUSY! We have been home for a week now and adjusting to life with a newborn. It has been great, and it has been rough - but I wouldn't change a thing.

The delivery was rather uneventful. Normal c-section, 15 seconds of excitement (said my doctor) because my placenta was covering my cervix more than expected. I went in the OR at 7:30 and was out by 8:45 with 15 staples across my abdomen - that was weird. IJ was there with me and got to cut the cord. I have never seen him so excited and happy as he was the moment our son was born. I didn't get to see the baby right away, well, I saw him from afar. But after a little while, IJ was able to bring him over to me. I kissed his cheek and they whisked him away to the nursery. IJ went with him for a bit and then came back down to see me. I couldn't wait to hold my son. By 9am, he was in my arms. It was amazing.

He sleeps a lot during the day and wants to party (or fuss) at night. Hoping to get that turned around soon. We is a good eater, unfortunately, he wasn't a good latcher - especially once we started supplementing with formula. The bottle were so easy and breastfeeding was a lot of work. Not to mention I kept getting so stressed about every feeding because he wasn't putting on weight and dropped 11% of his weight in the hospital. I would cry and cry every time I tried to feed him. With my history of depression, and all the hormonal changes postpartum, Sunday IJ and I decided to stop breastfeeding. I still pump so that he is getting some benefits but he is really a formula baby now. There is nothing wrong with it, I just felt like I was failing him. But I had to weigh out the situation and in the long run, a happier mom is a better mom. I could see myself heading toward resenting him and that wasn't going to be good. Anyway, I am ok with with our decision now.

My sciatica is STILL lingering, It is much better, but definitely not gone. I went back to acupuncture last week and have 2 more treatments this week. The 24 hours after the spinal were blissful - no pain at all. But it returned with a vengence and was particularly bad in that hospital bed. Hopefully it will subside soon.

Well, enough for now, I have to go get the boy from his crib.


waiting and wishing said...

Congrats! I'm happy to hear he has arrived safely- enjoy that sweet little face :)

Maria said...

I'm so happy for you and your husband. This is such a wonderful time! What a precious boy!

Sarra said...

Congratulations!! He's so beautiful! Hope to see more pictures soon.